UKLabour: RT if you agree: Whatever your gender or sexuality, you should have the right to marry whoever you love....
UKLabour: .@Ed_Miliband has urged Cameron to use the G8 summit to take action on tax avoidance. Join our campaign for...
UKLabour: 4,500 nurses lost since the election. Tell Jeremy Hunt we need safe staffing levels now: http://t.co/lgrbu2MOs6...
Roles and Responsibilities of the NEC Committees
The Officers of the National Executive Committee are:
• Leader of the Labour Party
• Deputy Leader of the Labour Party
• Chair of the NEC
• Vice-Chair of the NEC
• Treasurer of the NEC
• Party Chair
• Chair of Organisation Committee
• NEC Co-convenor of the JPC
NEC Joint Committees comprise those committees that are made up of NEC members, government and other members as detailed below.
Joint Policy Committee
The JPC has strategic oversight of policy development in the party through overseeing the rolling programme of Partnership in Power. The JPC acts as the steering group for the National Policy Forum. It is therefore a joint committee made up of NEC, Government and National Policy Forum representatives.
NEC Co-convenor: Mary Turner
The following are sub-committees of the NEC.
The Equalities Committee roles and responsibilities include:
• Women’s recruitment, retention and participation in the Party in elected office and the development of women’s forums at local level
• Black, Asian and ethnic minority recruitment, retention and participation in the Party
• Lesbian gay and bisexual representation and participation within the Party
• Disability access and increased representation and participation of members with disabilities
• Considering effective Party responses to Employment Framework Directive based on Article 13 (Treaty on European Union) and the European Union Action Programme to Combat Discrimination
• Responsibility for driving the Party’s equality agenda and the development of an inclusive organisation at all levels
• Link with Organisation Committee and Young Labour Co-ordinating Committee on issues of age discrimination
• Biannual womens’ forum
• Biannual ethnic minorities forum
Chair: Keith Birch
The Business Board is responsible for overseeing the business functions of the organisation including the management of the finances.
Chair: Diana Holland
Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee.
The Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee has responsibility for audit and compliance oversight, and is accountable for internal audit procedures providing a systematic approach to risk management in all of the Party's activities. The Committee ensures that the Labour Party's financial activities are within the law, and that an effective system of internal control is maintained.
Chair: Andy Kerr
The Organisation Committee is responsible for party rules and constitution; ensuring parties are operating effectively throughout the country to the highest standards and has overall responsibility for membership, investigations, selections, Conferences, electoral law, boundaries strategy and internal elections.
Chair: Jim Kennedy
There are two Panels serving the NEC:
The NEC Disputes Panel is a panel of the NEC Organisation Committee which hears membership appeals; re-admission applications; party disputes and conciliation; minor investigations and local government appeals where referred to the NEC. It operates in a quasi-judicial fashion, conducting hearings and interviews around the country where necessary.
Chair: Ann Black